April 2, 2009

The Dreaded Timeline

This is the one part I really really hate the most about my stories. I never pay attention to the amount of time that a specific event take to occur. I just write. Until I go on to editing I never really notice. It just all seems to flow perfectly but the tiny detail of the time is the major problem. My current story is almost done but the whole timeline happens in just over a month. From the first meeting to the happily ever after, that is not too good. A previous story I wrote happens in about a few weeks, which is even worse. Plus one of the characters is unconscious for a good part of the time.

On to the how to fix this problem... I have a few friends who willingly read my stories whenever they have free time. Mainly it was for editing anything I may have missed but also to help me with my writing problems. From then on I'm always nagged until I actually work towards fixing the problem, the timing. To add trouble to me trying to fix the timeline is the dislike of editing. Whenever I have free time I try to edit the stories but always am trying to find ways to drag out the timeline. To the story I keep posting bits of, I need to add more descriptions of what the characters look like and have my main character, Kat, take a longer time to get to know the werewolf pack.

The when... My thoughts are that I need to first finish the story before actually beginning to work on the timing problems. I should be finished with the story *fingers crossed* by the end of the semester but that is not definite. Then I would be going onto typing the story on the computer. That is definitely not what I'm looking forward to.

I could not find a good passage that went with this topic but found what follows. Katrina, the Mut, is sort of a conservationist of animals thought not to exist, like dragons, griffons, centaurs, etc. The problem with the timing in this excerpt is that she only knew Shane, the alpha of the werewolf pack for about a week to two. They had a small argument before this which explains the first line.

“I like winning hate losing, and refuse to give up or give in,” I told Shane. “It’s a difficult habit to break. What time is it?”

"About midnight. Why are you asking?”

“Because if you want me to trust you, I might as well take you to meet the animals since it looks like I won’t be able to sleep.”

“That’s awesome!”

“Yeah, but there is one requirement. It is you having to be blind folded on the way over.”

No comments:

Post a Comment